As of now, Tez by Google will support bill pay for more than 80 billers. The list of billers includes national and state-run electricity providers, gas, water, DTH and mobile postpaid bills and recharge. Also, it will work with major utilities like Reliance Energy, BSES, and DishTV, and soon it will cover as many states as possible adding up more and more billers.
Key Features of Tez:
1. Simple transactions on the spot: Tez has got a Cash Mode that lets users securely send money from person to person with just a few taps- There is no need to share any phone number or VPAs.
2. Integrated with phonebook: Starting a payment is now as easy as starting a conversation. The app syncs with the contact list in users’ phones so that a user can search for his friend’s name and number. Once a contact is on Tez, users do not have to add beneficiaries or enter bank account number and IFSC codes.
3. Supports payment to Bank account, QR Code or UPI ID: No matter if the person on the other side has got Tez or not, it also lets users by entering bank account number or UPI ID.
4. Supported and accepted everywhere: As the app and whole system is built on UPI, it can be accepted by any person or businesses with a UPI ID.
5. Integrated with bank accounts: It is not just another digital wallet that needs to be topped up. Tez works with more than fifty UPI-enabled banks. So, whenever a user needs to send money Tez will add the required money from the bank account. There are no extra charges or transaction fees.
6. Multiple security layers: Tez is backed by multiple security levels, including dedicated security systems offered by Indian banks, the NPCI, and the Tez Shield. Google’s suite of security features, including a machine-learning-based fraud detection engine, device level protection, including a Google PIN, and no sharing of phone numbers or bank account numbers via Cash Mode. Google also offers customer service available 24/7.
7. Built for India first: Tez works on the vast majority of smartphones on both Android and iOS, in English and Hindi. However, now the Android version supports additional Indian languages including Bengali, Tamil, Marathi, Telugu, Kannada, and Gujarati.
8. Bill Pay: It is the latest feature to be added, using which many users will be able to pay for utilities like electricity, postpaid mobile and landline bills, water, gas and even for insurance.
Tez will show different billers to customers depending on their city and region, and users can also search for them by name. Users just need to find out the biller they need to pay bills for and once they have linked their account by entering their unique customer ID, they can also label it easily. For every new biller a user pays this month, a scratch card worth up to ₹1000 will be entitled to the user. As the app is built on Unified Payments Interface (UPI) developed by National Payments Corporation of India and supported by the Government of India, it is a simple and secure mobile app for digital payments, making digital payments as easy as using cash.